EVERYONE SHOULD BE AWARE OF SKIN CANCER
Dr. Shadan Naji
Dermatology Clinic in Dubai
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer worldwide. One out of every three diagnosed cancer cases is skin cancer. Skin cancer is a curable condition with a survival rate that can
be 99% when detected and managed early In general skin cancer can be divided into two major types as the following:
- Non-melanoma skin cancer which is the more common type, less aggressive and localized but it can also spread in certain cases and cause death if not managed early and properly.
- Melanoma is the more dangerous aggressive type of cancer and can lead to death if not managed early
Both types of cancer is directly related to sun exposure so having more than 5 sunburns in your life will double your risk of developing melanoma. Regular daily use of sunblock with SPF 15 & above will reduce the possibility of having non-melanoma cancer by 40% and melanoma by 50%. Ultraviolet is the main carcinogen that is directly associated with developing all types of skin cancer. Using artificial sun tanning beds are considered to have a higher risk for developing all types of skin cancer as it can be 15 times more intense than natural sun.
Our recommendations to you is the following:
- Use regular daily SPF of 30 on all exposed parts especially face and arms. When outdoor repeat the use of the application every three hours.
- Avoid developing sunburns and start using sun blocks on face and body for your children since early age.
- Do a monthly self-checkup at home to see any changes in your skin or development of new spots that are fixed over time not resolving.
- Visit your dermatologist on a yearly basis to do clinical examination and evaluation for your skin.
Remember preventing skin cancer is totally in your hand act today and keep yourself and your loved ones safe.