Dr. Shadan Naji
أخصائية أمراض جلدية
Skin discoloration is one of the main concerns that we see at the clinic in our region. Many factors contribute to this high incidence and that include:
- The skin tone of most of the population in the region.
- The excessive sun exposure that our facial skin is exposed to through the year.
- The frequent epilation done on the white lip area frequently with traditional epilation approaches such as waxing or shaving.
The discoloration can be reduced, treated, and prevented through the following approaches:
- Make sure to apply adequate sunblock with SPF 50 regularly daily even if you are staying at the house as sun rays can pass through the windows. Also repetition of the sunblock is mandatory every three hours if you are outside.
- Include in your daily routine tranexamic acid which is an antioxidant that helps maintain unified tone of the skin and reduce pigmentation.
- Avoid traditional epilation and start doing laser hair reduction for the upper lip.
- Apply moisturizer on the lips itself generously at least 3-4 times a day.
- Avoid licking and biting the lips as this might cause irritation and subsequent pigmentation.
If you develop a pigmentation in the area you need to see your dermatologist to start a specific skin care plan that include specific ingredients to treat pigmentation. Also laser treatment usually gives us excellent results after few sessions.